In keeping with the purpose of the Los Angeles Chapter, we have enticed our long-time member, Don Gimpel, to provide some educational materials helpful in our pursuit of being better investors. From time-to-time we will add tools and hints that you may find helpful. Some items are presentations given at meetings of Don's Special Interest Group.
Click on the links that are highlighted
in blue to view/download a presentation. Then
use the Back Arrow on your browser to return to this page.
- "NOTE 247 CONCORDANCE TO GUMMY STUFF SPREADSHEETS (ABRIDGED)" Don Gimple's Note 247 handout. March 2017.
- "READING THE FUTURE" Presentation slides by Don Gimple at Investing Strategy SIG meeting on February 4, 2017. Don, in his sly manner, gives you the tools to predict future trends and timing of the market. A peek at the treasure trove of data offered monthly by the Royal Bank of Canada.
- "A LOOK AT BONDS FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO..." Presentation slides by Jim Quinn at Investing Strategy SIG meeting on February 4, 2017. Jim gives you his research on this topic and more. (LARGE file)
- "REGIME CHANGE..." Presentation slides by Jim Quinn at Investing Strategy SIG meeting on December 3, 2016.
- "BEAT THE S&P" Seminar by Don Gimpel at Investing Strategy SIG meeting on December 3, 2016, on strategies that consistently have returned better than the market. [Password required]
- "QUINN PRESENTATION" Presentation slides by Jim Quinn at Investing Strategy SIG meeting on August 6, 2016.
- "ROB BERNSTEIN HANDOUT" Presentation handout by Rob Bernstein at Investing Strategy SIG meeting on August 6, 2016.
- "ROYAL BANK OF CANADA" On June 18, 2016, Don Gimpel recommended an obscure and very worthwhile link to economic data on the website of The Royal Bank of Canada.
- "TRYING TO BUY AND HOLD MOMENTUM" presentation on June 4, 2016 by Jim Quinn at the Investment Strategy SIG. Jim presents a detailed look at what he (and others) are doing to maintain profits using charts and the updated SectorSurfer. Take a look, you will find some good stuff for your portfolio.
- "NOTE 194" February 20, 2016.
- "2015...WHAT DID WE LEARN?" presentation on February 6, 2016 by Jim Quinn at the Investment Strategy SIG. Jim takes a detailed look at what he and others learned from the market in 2015 and how might we apply those lessons in 2016.
- "FEB. 6th HANDOUT" Don Gimpel's handout at the February 6, 2016 Investment Strategy SIG meeting.
- "THE BOTTOM LINE" a slide presentation summarizing an article from the Wall Street Journal mentioned by Don Gimpel at the January 16, 2016 Skirball meeting. The article addresses the market and conditions following major declines in the first two weeks of 2016.
- "THE MERITS OF FASTTRACK CLOUD" presentation on December 5, 2015 by Rob Bernstein at the Investment Strategy SIG meeting. Rob shares his knowledge of FastTrack service to handily evaluate investment opportunities and improve portfolio performance. Examples, particularly Cloud+, demonstrated the power of this service.
- "Trying to Keep it ALL Simple;the Latest KISS(es) from Jim (AGAIN!!)" presentation on October 3, 2015 by Jim Quinn at the Investment Strategy SIG. 'Again' Jim relates copious info on momentum theory, strategies using SectorSurfer, new strategies and the current viscious market.
- "LLUR and OTHER STRATEGIES" presentation on August 1, 2015 by Jim Quinn at the Investment Strategy SIG. Jim demonstrates LLUR (Lower Left to Upper Right) chart formations that identify upwardly trending stocks; other profitable strategies and general investment lore in today's environment.
- "REASONABLE RETURN WITH LIMITED DRAW-DOWN" presentation on June 6, 2015 by Rob Bernstein at the Investment Strategy SIG meeting. Rob gives the lowdown on his performance using an approach that has delivered reasonable profits, significantly beating the market, while exercising risk management that limits the downside!
- "20 20 20" presentation on June 6, 2015 by Don Gimpel at the Investment Strategy SIG meeting. Here's the proof! Some 20 Stategies that have returned at least 20% Compound Annual Return for the last 20 Years. Help your self!...some return significantly more than 20%.
- "...SIMPLE AND PROFITABLE II" presentation on April 4, 2015 by Jim Quinn at the Investment Strategy SIG. Part 2: Not for those that want to 'shoot for the moon,' but right-on for those who want reasonable returns and protection from major drawdowns!
- "KEY RATIOS" presentation on December 6, 2014 by Don Gimpel at the Investment Strategy SIG meeting. The power of Key Ratios, where to find them and how you can use them to look within a corporation for those critical values that tell you the real inside story!
- "...SIMPLE AND PROFITABLE" presentation on December 6, 2014 by Jim Quinn assisted by Richard Young at the Investment Strategy SIG. Not for those that want to 'shoot for the moon,' but right-on for those who want reasonable returns and protection from major drawdowns!
- "CONCORDANCE" presentation on November 15, 2014 by Don Gimpel at the Skirball Chapter meeting. The finely crafted and diligently researched document that Don introduced has the route to valuable answers on economics and the market clearly laid out for you...don't miss out on this one-time chance to be in the know!
- "A RETIREMENT TOME" presentation on November 1, 2014 by Jim Quinn at the Retirement SIG. Final Buckets; Some Thoughts and Considerations about a conservative approach to surviving in retirement in spite of market ups and downs.
- "YA GOTTA HAVE A PLAN - Part 2" presentation on October 4, 2014 by Jim Quinn at the Strategic Investing SIG. Continuation of building your plan (See Part 1 below). You can thrive in spite of market corrections; knowing when to get out and when to be in.
- "STOCK PRICE LOOKUP" presentation on October 25, 2014 by Brian Iinuma at the SectorSurfer SIG. An automated spreadsheet (Black Box Prototype) to calculate a stock's momentum, in developement by Brian in consultation with Don Gimpel. BRIAN'S SLIDE PRESENTATION
- "BLACK BOX STORE" presentation on August 23, 2014 by Don Gimpel at the SectorSurfer SIG. Don puts forth a potential plan to generate your own investment timing system...it may need a bit more developement to be usable by the average investor. Hey, very interesting!
- "YA GOTTA HAVE A PLAN" presentation on August 2, 2014 by Jim Quinn at the Strategic Investing SIG. With a proper plan you can thrive in spite of market corrections; knowing when to get out and when to be in.
- "SECTOR SURFER KISSed" presentation on June 7, 2014 by Jim Quinn at the Strategic Investing SIG. A review of the SectorSurfer portfolio structure and performance of Richard Young demonstrating outstanding potential investment strategies.
- "INVESTMENT ADVISOR CHECK LIST (SLIDES)" presentation on June 7, 2014 by Don Gimpel at the Strategic Investing SIG. What should you know when you engage the services of an advisor to handle your investments?...and how can you find out?
- "INVESTMENT ADVISOR CHECK LIST (DOCUMENT)" Handout distributed on June 7, 2014 by Don Gimpel at the Strategic Investing SIG. Hardcopy document supporting the above slide presentation.
- "ENTITLED TO THE GOOD LIFE" presentation on February 1, 2014 by Don Gimpel at the Strategic Investing SIG. An enlightening tutorial on how you can boost your portfolio using AAII Stock Screens historically delivering 15 to 30% compound annual return. And a bonus glimpse of proven SumGrowth strategies with 13.8%, 33.4% and 58.6% returns. YOU can lead the good life!
- "BUCKETS of $" presentation on December 7, 2013 by Jim Quinn at the Strategic Investing SIG. An investing philosphy, 'Buckets' has regained interest and acceptance. Jim details the philosophy and elaborates on some of his techniques for profitable investing.
- "INSIGHTS" presentation on December 7, 2013 by Don Gimpel at the Strategic Investing SIG. Learning critical investing insights provided in Chart-Of-The-Day graphics on the Internet. A goldmine!
- "GOING UP, GOING DOWN, GOING NOWHERE" presentation on June 1, 2013 by Don Gimpel at the Computerized Investing SIG. Great caution is needed when you are looking for reliable directions in guidance for your portfolio.
- "BEYOND 2013 - A Serious Investors Guide to What's Next", presentation on April 20, 2013 by Don Gimpel at the Skirball; a slide presentation.
- "Analyze Now - Computer Programs", "Five Minutes" presentation on November 17, 2012 by Don Gimpel; a website offering a veritable wealth of free programs that will guide your investing and retirement planning!
- "Strategy Based ETFs 2", presentation on May 19, 2012 by Don Gimpel; a Word document listing characteristics of ETFs designed to track various investment strategies...your map to a "gold mine."
"Entitlements Vol. VI - SENIOR DISCOUNTS" presented by Don Gimpel, to the
Monthly meeting February 18, 2012. Don relates
dozens of discount opportunities for seniors.
"'Tis Only My Opinion! -- January 2012 - Volume 32, Number 1" a treatise by Fred Richards highly recommended by Don Gimpel in his "5 Minutes" talk to
the LA Chapter, January 21, 2012.
"All I know
about the market I learn from Barron's" presented by Don Gimpel to
the LA Chapter, July 23, 2011.
"July 23 Market Analysis" by Don Gimpel, July 23, 2011.
"Lesson 1 - Be Your Own Guru" by Don Gimpel, presented to the
Computerized Investing SIG on December 4, 2010. Don describes
most important market indicators and how to access and interpret the
presentation to the Computerized Investors Group on February 6, 2010
"Talk to Me" in which he described how to find and
interpret the information that you need to make up your own mind about
the market. He showed where key investment information can be found on
the WEB and what it means. Some
of the issues he addressed are:
What information is the most important for
predicting the market?
Should I be in Junk Bonds right now?
Should I panic and sell everything and then buy
Where are short-term rates going?
Which are today’s “Hot Markets” and how can I
figure it out for myself in less than two minutes?
Should I worry about inflation?
Has the price of my home gone up or down in the
last two months?
What strange thing is happening now to the
Investment spread sheets
and documents that will be discussed at the Computerized Investing
Subgroup meeting on Saturday December 5, 2009. For meeting details
These tools will be useful primarily for meeting attendees since "how to
use them" will be described at the meeting. Links to download each of
the items follow below:
A document providing
descriptions of and links to
IMPORTANT INTERNET ECONOMETRIC RESOURCES
prepared by Don Gimpel.
CLUELESS IN LOS ANGELES - NOT ANY MORE.
This presentation by Don Gimpel describes internet sites that will
provide clues to future market behaviour. It provides detailed
information about where to obtain answers to serious market questions
and how to interpret the information. It was presented to the
Computerized Investing Sub-Group on October 4, 2008.
Traded Funds for Investment Portfolios" by Heinz Diebel, presented to
the Computerized Investing SIG on June 7, 2008.
Best Internet Investment Sites" by category,
edited by Don Gimpel.
"Notes on the Secrets of Economic Indicators" Prepared by Don Gimpel
based on the book by Bernard Baumohl. This book, published by Wharton School
Publishing, is one of the most useful books on the market. It
identifies key econometric indicators for the stock, bond and dollar
markets. It also lists the indicators in order of importance, tells you
where they can be found in very specific terms and how they are to be
interpreted. Those who are serious about the market can use this information
to construct their own "market health" composite indexes.
"Building Your Own Investment Plan"
Presented by Don Gimpel to the Computerized Investing SIG on August 4, 2007.
"Basic Investment Math
A handy collection of spreadsheet routines to help you with Averages and Rate-of-change, Compound interest, Hedging, Goals, Valuation theory, Simple Statistics, Ranking Investments, Crunch, Annualized Value of a Series of Investments, and References.
When you open the spreadsheet you may get a message:
"the workbook you are opening contains macros". Go ahead and "ENABLE
macros". You will also get a message: "The workbook you opened contains
automatic links to information in another workbook ......". Click on NO.
Enjoy the tools that Don has provided.
Advice about Your Checkbook" Tips to minimize the risk of
identity theft related to checkbooks, credit cards and other items.